Friday 9 June 2023

What would you prefer?

The darkness. The Mist. The rats. The dry cold air.

It's 05:30. It's 4 degrees. I'm heading off for work. 17miles.

I'm lucky, as for 16 miles it's canal, all off road. Muddy and pitch black.

Today the canal water is warmer than the air, barely, but it creates a fog.

There's no wind so it hangs in the air, creating clouds of slightly smelly mist.

Either the countless horror movies I've seen, or my imagination, but isn't it spooky?

The rats are abundant at the moment.. perhaps they need more predators...

The police are out too. I stop to ask what they've lost? "some bloke's jumped in..." they reply.

I carry on, now scanning the water for bodies.. it wouldn't be the first time I passed one.

The council have been cutting the edges, and they leave it all over the path.

I hear a pop as I run over glass, or a stone, or god know what.. I hope I don't have to stop..

I arrive in Manchester, Piccadilly. Lights are bright, and it's noisy.

There are loads of people now. Some walking about, some stood waiting, some asleep in doorways.

It's a nice commute. By far better than sitting on the motorway staring at the cars in front...